Friday, May 8, 2009

Beware of flying Hockey Cliches

The Phoenix Coyotes and the National Hockey League are headed to court - that means we can count on lots of "legal face-off" puns, I'm certain.


The crux of the issue is a team that's financially strapped, tired of the Valley of the Fickle Fan (um, I mean, Sun), tired of never having home games because Valley residents from other places root for their old teams, tired of playing in an inconveniently located venue and eager to move to Canada.


Frankly, the franchise belongs in Canada. Remember, it used to be the Winnipeg Jets.


As much as I love hockey, the Coyotes have never captivated me. The Coyotes, like the Jets before then, always seemed like a chintzy, low-ball organization. I'd have rather waited a few more years and gotten an expansion franchise with no baggage and dirt laundry.


Adding to the already formidable burdens, the Coyotes ticket prices were never all that great a value. Of course, I say the same about all major-league pro sports. I wouldn't mind a total collapse of the sports-industrial complex, frankly. Let them charge reasonable ticket prices and pay players reasonable salaries, thanks.


I can slake my hockey thirst by watching the minor-league Phoenix Roadrunners. They just happen to have a convenient downtown venue, and I can take the light rail there. And tickets are affordable! I'll take that, thanks.


Back to the court battle, I suppose it would be Murphy's Luck if the Coyotes pick now to start a winning streak they couldn't manage on the ice ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, this is Vaishnavi. I came across your other blog on Tanmoy's page. I couldn't figure out where to leave a comment there so eventually landed here :-) Your posts are very interesting. I am a vicarious traveler. I haven't gone to too many places but would love to as and when I get the chance. For now I'll stick to the discovery channel and blogs like yours :-)