Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I'm Really Not This Grumpy ... Honestly!

I'm pretty excited about the Arizona Cardinals getting so deep into the playoffs. We're talking two wins from a Super Bowl! And I'm not ever a football fan ... I don't know 99.8 percent of these players. But I am a relentless hometown sports supporter. I want all our teams to do well, whether they play badminton or basketball.

But The Arizona Republic is really overdoing it. Too much Cardinals coverage on A-1. We're a huge city. We have so many problems, so many opportunities, so many characters. I know this from being a news reporter. It's a fact.

But it takes work to dig into those problems, opportunities and characters. And it takes skill to make the readers understand that they are important. Great newspaper leaders give their staff members the time and skill to do so. I'd love to see The Republic take that approach ... I want that paper to be great, because I root for everything in my hometown - not just the sports teams.

1 comment:

jenavi k. said...

So, okay. I am happy to see that you are a Cards fan even though you're not into football. And it makes me happy to see that you would support the home team just because they are, in fact, the home team. And I do understand that this post is not just about the Cards. But it should be. The playoffs were a BIG DEAL! Especially for those who have been fans since they were "knee high to a grasshopper." Super Bowl coverage should have been on every page of the paper until they lost. After losing it should never be mentioned again. But that is just my opinion.

I'll leave the reporting stuff to a professional like you.