Wednesday, November 5, 2008

'Cause you're probably sicking of reading about elections...

It you've ever spent time among Australians in their natural habitat, you'll notice that there is a stereotypical Australian bloke. And most of his characteristics are good.

He's not politically correct, but he doesn't care how other people lives their lives. He might not read "important" literature, but he has a practical sensibility. He tries not to let people get under him. He also won't think twice about trying to turn a stranger into a new friend.

The Australian film Kenny perfectly captures this creature. The title character works for a company called Splashdown that provides portable toilets for events of all sizes. Kenny knows his job's not glamorous - but until people stop dropping edgars a few hours after they eat, he also knows it's important. The movie takes him from event to event, handling everything that drops his way in the manner of the aforementioned stereotypical bloke - whether that's someone starting his porta-loos on fire, a father that's disappointed in him, a shrew of an ex-wife or seasonal workers who let him down when things turn to crap. It also has a cute romantic turn when he impresses a woman during his first airplane flight by ... wait for it ... fixing the lavatory.

Now, I've only met one person locally who's seen Kenny ... and he's of Australian decent, married to an Ozzie, and spends a fair amount of time Down Under. He was amazed that I'd found it since he saw it in Sydney.

He thought for sure that I'd gotten it on Netflix, when my wife has actually flushed it out of the local Blockbuster.

Netflix: Hmmm. I've never warmed to it. I hate going to the post office, and I kind like the experience of wandering around and examining the covers, plus asking the clerks what they think. And I really hate the post office, just in case I didn't make that explicitly clear.

And really, the rise of Netflix has prompted Blockbuster to do away with late fees. Huzzah! So no burning gas and time to go to the post office. I'll just walk to Blockbuster, grab some groceries at Sprouts, and bounce my way back to watch my flicks. Granted, the selection's not as big. But I really don't watch that much TV, anyway. For stuff that's harder to find, I have an artsy-fartsy local video store that can handle those tasks.

So gimme Blockbuster until otherwise notified.

And go see Kenny. It's not all turdly humor - it has some heart, and Kenny himself is Rocky Balboa with a pipe wrench. Only cooler.

No comments: