Saturday, May 10, 2008

Hi-Def: Does it make it better?

Some people think seeing and hearing everything on their televisions really makes it all better.

When it comes to watching soccer, I'd agree. Having cable or satellite service also helps; but if I had either, I'm worried that I'd swell to elephantine proportions while obsessing over futbol on Setanta Sport.

But what about the rest? The only television show I watch regularly is Battlestar Galactica. The new one, now, not the 1970s version. Now, how do I do that with a pair of rabbit ears perched upon my paltry little screen? The kind folks from the Sci-Fi Network post the latest episode online the day after it runs, and I watch it on my laptop. Brilliant!

As you might guess, that adds up to much less definition, jerky images and so-so sound.

Wanna know something? It's more fun watching the show that way. The Galactica and its fleet have been on the run and under the hammer for three years. Stuff is wearing out and falling apart. Somehow, watching it lo-fi style adds an extra layer of steel wool to an already gritty show.

Try it sometime: Turn off your plasma screen. Tune into Battlestar (if you're a fan) and watch it Colonial style. Bet you'll have more fun!

No comments: